Thursday 10 March 2022

Philosophical Shrugs

The next section in the Spectral Poetry Book is Philosophy & Mysticism. And oh boy is this a difficult one to define! But then, when asked “What kind of poetry do you do, then?” I’ve struggled with that definition as well, so this section is for all the stuff about which I tend to shrug and say: “I guess it’s a bit... metaphysical? metaphorical? meta-something, anyway. Um…” And I know I’m not alone – plenty of poets out there getting to grips with the form beyond forms, or attempting to pin the liminal to the printed page. You might say.

Okay, fine, this section’s potentially a touch pretentious in places, okay? Good, we addressed the horse in the corner. This is the section for me to revel in the mythological stuff I love to play with, along with streams of consciousness and the more dream-like musings that I try not to indulge in too often. It ends with some puns that are incredibly obscure, even for me, with perfect timing for the next section...

The section is started and represented by these hands here:

Digital sketch of two pairs of the same hands. In one pairing, the right hand is cupping the elbow of the left, which is gesturing as if in mid-flow of expounding an idea. The left hand has a ring with vaguely outlined Celtic knotwork on it around the middle finger. The right hand has a plain pair of rings about the thumb and a pair of buckled bands just below the wrist. In the other pairing, which sits in the middle of the L-shape created by the first pairing. the left hand is upright and curled in an elaborate gesture similar to that of the first but more stiff and possibly ritualistic, showing the palm in something like a three-quarters profile. The right hand is upright, palm facing the viewer. It has a dense network of lines and wrinkles inscribed on it, overlaid with Western astrological symbols at specific points. Let me know if you'd like me to describe the symbols in detail.

You know what’s salutary about drawing your own hands this much? Discovering a quite extraordinary number of imperfections (like how off-centre my index fingers actually are). But it’s also been a real pleasure getting to know them better again, and to use this opportunity to celebrate their uniqueness instead of taking their utility for granted or bemoaning the pain they’re often in. And this pose, in particular, allowed me to revisit adolescent preoccupations with palmistry, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment